Mini-Grant Application

FY2018 Mini-Grant Program Guidelines & Application
Electronic Submissions due May 16, 2018


The Anacostia Trails Heritage Area is a Maryland certified heritage area located in northwest Prince George’s County. ATHA Inc., the management entity, seeks to promote and protect the cultural, historic, and natural resources of the region. The organization does this through technical assistance, coordination and partnerships, funding strategies, and innovative programming. Our membership includes municipalities and communities, as well as non-profit and tourism partners. The vision of ATHA is for visitors to easily find ways to enjoy the region through sites, parks, culture, restaurants and retail utilizing a coordinated approach of tours, trails, signage and connections.

ATHA, Inc.’s mini-grant program is designed to provide seed funding for innovative exhibits, tours, planning and projects which build upon interpretive themes identified in ATHA’s Management Plan. Projects should seek to attract cultural heritage tourists to the region. Details about the Management Plan are found on

Examples of non-capital eligible projects include:
  • trail amenities (repair stations, benches, signs, etc.)
  • neighborhood driving/walking tours
  • maps and interpretive brochures
  • exhibit planning/development
  • marketing support
  • mural planning

ATHA Inc.’s mini-grant program does not fund events or “one day” programs. Additionally, projects that seek marketing funds may not also receive funds from M-NCPPC.

Criteria for grant awards:
a. Consistent with interpretive themes and/or suggested programs and projects in the ATHA Management Plan;
b. Include collaborative partnerships;
c. Enhance heritage tourism and encourage increased visitation in to the area;
d. Leverage other funding; and/or
e. Demonstrate ability of applicant to initiate, administer & complete project within proposed timeframe.

Application Procedure:

Non-profits and municipalities within the borders of the Anacostia Trails Heritage Area are eligible to apply. Individuals and businesses with proposals fitting the above guidelines may apply in partnership with non-profit organizations. Maximum grant award is $5,000 and 50% will be made available at project start.

Application deadline is Thursday, May 16, 2018 by 12:00pm. Completed applications should be submitted electronically by 12:00 p.m. Fax submissions will not be accepted. Notification of grant awards by the middle of June.

1. Only 50% of total approved funds will be distributed at time of grant contract. No less than 25% will be retained until after final report submission. See item #3.

2. ATHA, Inc must be acknowledged on any materials or publicity produced for the project/program/exhibit. ATHA Inc.'s designated logo must appear on printed materials. Draft of any printed materials shall be submitted to ATHA, Inc for approval before completion/ printing/ publication. ATHA, Inc reserves rights to use images & other materials connected with grant project/program/product supported by ATHA’s mini-grant program. Examples of possible credit lines include: "(Name of Organization, event, program, project) is partially funded by ATHA, Inc." ATHA, Inc. can be added to a list of sponsors or the logo can be included in printed matter.

3. A final report is required one month after end of program/project has ended, and should include documentation of products and activities resulting from the grant project (e.g., number of brochures printed and distributed, number of attendees at event, etc.), copies of any such products, along with measures of increased tourism and economic impact if measurable.

4. Applicants MUST match the request 1-to-1. Applicant must prove that 75% of the match is cash on hand at time of request or have demonstrated approval by funder. The remaining 25% can be in-kind or cash, but must be documented as available at the time of funding.

5. Project must be completed within one year of grant contract signature.

Application Deadline:
Thursday, May 16, 2018 by 12:00pm

Questions to:
Aaron Marcavitch, Executive Director
Hyattsville, MD 20781
Phone: 301-8887-0777

* indicates required field

Acceptable file types: doc,pdf,xls,docx,xlsx,jpg,jpeg,png,gif,txt.
Maximum file size: 2mb.